At Apis, we believe in creating sustainable jewellery that can be worn and treasured for years to come. Our goal is to create long-lasting, timeless pieces that are functional and don't end up in a landfill or discarded after one season. For this reason we do not plate our jewellery in silver or gold because the plating will eventually wear off the base metal, leaving your jewellery looking nothing like how how you purchased it. This means that you can clean your jewellery without worrying about the surface wearing down.
We love bronze! It has been used to create jewellery since ancient times, is an alloy made of copper and tin and has a beautiful warm golden tone similar to 14K gold. Solid bronze is durable, easy to clean, and will last for decades. Our bronze is of the highest quality and does not contain any nickel, zinc or aluminium, making it hypoallergenic (i.e. relatively unlikely to cause an allergic reaction).
It is important to realise that any metals will naturally tarnish over time with normal daily wear due to oxidization and exposure to alcohol-based perfumes, moisture and skin acidity. Non-plated metals especially have the tendency to naturally take on a patina and age over time. We love this about bronze and feel it gives each piece a unique character. When worn regularly, our bronze pieces usually keep their original, bright colour. However, if a piece remains unworn or your skin is very acidic, it may start to tarnish or turn your skin a little green. We do realise that some people are not happy with this and would prefer their piece to remain bright and shiny. Please don’t worry – All it needs is a simple clean and polish or for you to wear it more often. Go on, give it some love and remember these 5 simple rules:
- Your jewellery does not not like to get hot and sweaty, so best you store it in a dry place, preferably in a soft bag in an airtight container. Certain environments such as those with a very high humidity, like the tropics or your bathroom, are not the best place for your jewellery.
- If you wouldn't put it on your skin you shouldn't put it on your jewellery. Avoid chemicals like household cleaners, hairsprays, alcohol-based perfumes and lotion.
- Jewellery is not fond of exercise or hard work. We suggest removing your sparkles before hitting the gym, weeding the garden, or painting that cool piece of vintage furniture you found.
- Your jewels can't swim so it’s advisable to keep them out of the water. This includes the ocean, the shower and hand-washing too.
- All you need to get your gems to shine is a jewellery polishing cloth or a liquid metal polish and some love.
If your item has tarnished considerably please contact us and we will be happy to polish it and/or tumble it to get it back to its original shiny colour for a small fee. Please note this only applies to items bought within South Africa.